Hot Buttered Cheerios are a beloved childhood snack, perfect for almost any party! Toasted cheerios tossed in cinnamon sugar have all the flavors of mini doughnuts, and are perfect for movie night, game day and a must for road trips.
Thanks to a classic, ’80s recipe from Betty Crocker, I’ve found what has quickly become a family favorite snack! I’m not sure if it’s the hint of butter in the toasted cereal or the coating of cinnamon sugar that lures me in. All I know is that I’m a fan!
Hot Buttered Cheerios is an old-school recipe that’s super easy to make. With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes, you’ll have a batch of Mini Doughnuts to snack on. Reminiscent of your favorite county fair food, you’ll find reasons to make this super yummy snack.
Ingredients Needed To Make Hot Buttered Cheerios
- Granulated Sugar
What Makes This Snack So Good?
The big secret to making this recipe is the toasting or “frying” the cheerios. This step does not need to be rushed. It takes 4 to 5 minutes for the cheerios to get fully toasted in the melted butter and vanilla. You’ll be glad you took the time.
Variations For This Recipe
It’s easy to put a flavor twist on this recipe. Substitute classic Cheerios with Honey Nut or Apple cereal for a little something extra.
Ways To Serve This Yummy Snack
I have to warn you, after just one bite, you’ll become obsessed with this yummy snack. And, along with that, your mind will run wild with ways to serve them! Here are a few of my favorites:
- For movie night with the family.
- A double batch is in order for game day or tailgating.
- Make individual bags of Hot Buttered Cheerios as a take home treat for guests after a cookout out.
- They’re perfect served hot chocolate and warm cider around a campfire or fire pit.
- They are a terrific road trip snack!
How To Store Hot Buttered Cheerios
Store the Mini Doughnuts in a sealed container at room temperature. I use a zip top bag which works great.
Sign up for our email newsletter and follow-on PINTEREST!
Hot Buttered Cheerios – Mini Doughnuts
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt – optional
- Add sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a small bowl and mix. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add vanilla and stir. Add cereal to butter and toss to coat. Toast Cheerios over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over buttered cereal and toss. Let cool and enjoy!